Mercon Coffee Group is committed to health care in the communities where we work and we demonstrate this through support of medical brigades that work with us in Nicaragua, Honduras and Vietnam. Our work includes identifying and providing logistical support to patients and their families during the medical treatment.
Operation Smile Nicaragua
We identify children with cleft lip and cleft palate from coffee-growing communities to enable them to have free surgery and treatment. We have been sponsors of Operation Smile Nicaragua for more than twenty years and we are its official partner in northern Nicaragua.
Currently, we support Operation Smile Nicaragua in the following activities:
- Fundraising campaigns with employees, clients and friends.
- Identification of cases in coffee-growing communities.
- Logistical support during surgery days.
- Donation of medical equipment.
Our major results are:
- 550 cleft lip and cleft palate surgery for children from coffee-growing communities.
- More than 800 patients have received some type of medical care through the Operation Smile missions.
- More than US$50,000 in donations to La Mascota Hospital – the largest children’s hospital in Nicaragua – and to the Matagalpa Regional Hospital – one of the largest and most visited hospitals in northern Nicaragua.